WD Smartware with Drag and Drop

I have been using WD Smartware to back-up my hard drive and a separate flash drive for over a year on a My Book Essential drive.  When I updated the WD software in December, I could no longer back-up the flash drive.  (I also just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 this week.)

Can I just drag and drop the flash drive onto My Book in Windows Explorer?  (I would like to continue to use WD Smartware to automatically back-up my hard drive.)  Is there another solution to this issue for the flash drive?

Where is a safe place to drag and drop the files in My Book?  Should I create a new folder and where should I put it?

I apologize if this has been asked many times.  I have been unable to locate an answer through my searches.

Thank you for your assistance.

Can I just drag and drop the flash drive onto My Book in Windows Explorer?  Yes.

Where is a safe place to drag and drop the files in My Book? Does not make any difference where you put the files on the drive, just keep in mind that a real backup is having the information in two places.

Thank you!  That seems to be working well.  I just put the folder outside of what Smartware is using.

I have another newbie question:  If I do not unlock the drive daily, is the Smartware still backing up my hard drive behind the scenes?

Thanks again!