WD Mybook USB not detected

I badly need your help.

I was transferring some data then the drive just turned off. I turned it back on and continued the transfer. It happened for about 5 times until the drive is no longer detected. I tried other computers to no avail. I went to disk management of windows and still nothing. So I was worried.

I removed the enclosure and put the disk into a sata cable. The disk is now unallocated. I looked at some forums and they said that the drive is encrypted and the only way to see the data is to connect it to the board of the enclosure. I tried to connect it again to the usb sata bridge of the enclosure hoping it would be detected, it’s not. Please help.

Can I still recover my files? I have very important data there especially my pictures since I was in high school :confounded:

Capture.PNG

I would recommend contacting a specialized Data Recovery service for analysis, and I would advise against using the hard drive for now in order to prevent further issues until the unit is inspected.

http://support.wdc.com/recovery/index.asp?wdc_lang=en

Regards,

Hi. I have removed the drive from my desktop since the day I’ve read that the drive is encrypted. The only way to decrypt the data is to have a working enclosure board.

I have tried a lot of data and partition recovery, from easus to acronis, getdataback, testdisk and recuva. I am this close to reformatting the drive until i’ve read that it can be recovered with a working enclosure board.

UPDATE:

According to this blog, the files MAY BE accessed by changing the defective controller board.
http://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

If my drive is covered by warranty, aren’t they supposed to provide parts for my drive?

I don’t know if you can call this a miracle but this ain’t no exception to one of the best things that happened to my life. The drive, to my surprise, is now working! Im in the process of backing up all my data to a new drive. But im gonna need a new 1TB to back them all up.

1 Like

I am most glad you have been able to extract your data. I would suggest keeping an active backup in the future as a preventive measure.

Regards,

Yes, I saved my pictures in two separate drives. I am also glad to inform you that I bought WD Elements 1TB for my pictures alone. I chose that because it has no hardware encryption. I’m afraid of that stuff now.

BTW, for those people that might encounter this problem, this is my suggestion.

Never reformat the drive or initialize it. Try removing the disk from the enclosure. Remove the screw from the controller board connecting the drive. This may not be an accurate and guaranteed solution because I’m not sure if that’s what made it work, but we can’t pass any chances, can we?

Again, the drive is encrypted with the controller board and you need that board working in order for you to get your data back.

You can now close the thread. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Did you ever figure out what caused the drive to stop working?  Sounds like a lot of us are hit with not working drives, especially if we have to change the case due to a broken USB port.  (My issue)  PC will locate the device, but appears that the drivers don’t work.  Not sure what’s going on and I cannot afford the prices data recovery. :frowning: