WD My Passport Essentials

Hi guys. I have a WD My Passport essentials external drive. Some time ago it stopped working. I had given it to a friend for some days before that, so i can’t know for sure if he dropped it or not. When i go to disk managment it can see it, but it shows up as unknown. Under device management it shows up with its name and all that. I run WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, and under my disks properties it shows Health Status: Warning, Capacity 0.00 GB. After the tests i ran, it shows Smart status: Not available , Test Result : Pass.

I don’t want to try and format it, because there are some documents i need. Please, could anyone help me?
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

EDIT: I went to device management and i uninstalled my passport. I then plugged it back in and installed it, and now in disk management the option “prepare disk” is not gray anymore, but once i try to do that i get the error “The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”.
Btw, sorry for my english :confused:

did you try the very basic of windows chkdsk command ?

go to your command prompt

type this  chkdsk /f  d:

d: = this is your drive letter

then restart

This is how i fix mine !

I can’t try that given that there is no letter assigned to my passport, nor can i assign one.