WD My Book Essential Problem

My WD My Book Essential stopped working yesterday… When I connect it I get the “Installing device driver software” message…

USB Mass Storage Device … Ready to use

WD My Book 1130 USB Device  … installing driver software … and after a few mins. it says  “Failed”

WD SES Device USB Device … same as above

The disk is visible in device manager, it’s listed under “Other devices” and it says WD SES Device USB Device and has a yellow exclamation mark… when I right click it I only get the “Scan for hardware changes” and “Properties” options…

On properties under the general tab I get “This devices is not configured correctly. (Code 1) To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.”  … but there is no update driver button… under the driver tab I can only access the “driver details” button, all the other buttons are disabled…

the disk is not visible in disk management…

im using windows 7 64 bit 

I already formatted my laptop and couldn’t get it to work…

plugged it on my dad’s laptop and same problem where its stuck at “installing driver software”

I tried unpluggin the drive for a few hours plugged it back and still nothing…

any help would be much appreciated… thanks! 

Hi there, you can get the SES drivers  from here. Try to install them with the drive disconnected to make sure your computer will take the drivers, if it doesn’t then you know there’s something wrong with your computer. Also check the cable and try to see if the drive does the same on another computer just in case.

I successfully installed the SES drivers… plugged the drive after restart… same result.

I tried the drive in my dad’s laptop and got the exact same message where it’s stuck at “Installing software…”

Have you tried using another usb cable?  And then I would try completely uninstalling the SES driver.  Did you have it password protected?  I’m assuming you’re using a Smartware drive.