WD Ext Harddrive Case Replaced

I recently replaced my original WD External Drive case with a non WD Case and now having problems accessing the drive (1TB). If I reinstall the WD driver would that solve the problem. I have a ton of data on the drive that I cannot afford to lose because when itry to access it from Windows7, which I had no problem before, it asks if I want to format the disc. I definitely dont want to do that. Is there any way to retrieve that data ? PLEASE HELP!!

Connecting a drive to another enclosure normally requires initializing and formatting the unit.

You can try using a software to retrieve the files and then proceed with the drive installation.

The drives warranty is voided when removed from the enclosure.

If the original drive came with Smartware it is hardware encrypted and you won’t be able to get  usable data off it. The hardware necryption comes from a circuit board on the WD unit. What was the riginal problem with the case?

Joe

The original problem was that the connector board in the case was broken and would not power up.

So there is no way to retrieve the data? If that is the case then I’ve lost a lot of valuable data that pertains to my business. So sorry to hear this.

Thanks for your response.

You might be able to find another board on Ebay. This explains a bit about them  http://community.wd.com/t5/Off-Topic-Discussions/Bridge-Boards/td-p/353839  About the only person with much understanding of the boards is fzabkar

Joe

OK, I appreciate your support.

Do you think purchasing another WD External case would prove to be a solution since there was some sort of board inside the case. If not, does WD suport have any software that could possibly decript the data…I’m desperate to retrieve my data.

Thanks.