WD Elements Desktop Broken?

I have a WD Elements Desktop Hard Drive and I think it is broken.

After plugging in the drive it takes minutes (more then 10 minutes) before it gets recognized by the pc. After getting recognized as just a drive, it only gives it only shows the letter. It takes another 15 minutes or so to load all the files and give the drive the normal name. Now I can browse on my drive but it is still painfully slow. If I am not carefull enough it freezes the whole pc. So I thought my drive will probably die in a couple of days and therefor I wanted to copy all my files to a new hard drive. But copying files takes for days. If they get copied at all. I tried to copy a 700 MB file and it copied just a part of it during the night. And if I try to copy a couple of GBs the preparing for copying process shuts down after a couple of hours without coping any of my files.

I checked my disk with chkdsk but there where no errors.

What is wrong with my hard drive? How can I copy my files.

I don’t care if I can’t fix the drive again but I really need to save my files.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

It is possible that the files are corrupted or the Elements has a hardware problem. You can try using a data recovery program to see if that helps with the transfer rate, you should be able to find several options using Google. You can also try running a test using DLG to rule any hardware problems, check the link below for the steps. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows 

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940