WD Elements 2TB not visible, yet accessible through Media Center

Hi,

I can’t access my WD Elements 2TB anymore through my laptop. It does not show up in My Computer, nor in the Disk Manager. This means tools like TestDisk and Recuva don’t see my HD.

But when I insert the disk in my media center (WDTV Live) I can see all the folder, files with correct filesizes and even play the video files without a problem.It only says ‘Media library could not be created’.

Any suggestions on recovering my data? I have plenty of room on other external disks to transfer my data.

Thanks

Hello,

Make sure the drive is plugged in to a wall outlet. It is possible you are having a power issue and the drive is not spinning properly.

Also make sure you don’t use a cable longer than the original or use a hub. 

Jow

Hi thanks for the replies. I connected my drive to another laptop and there it does get recognised. Though it’s not accessable and shows as 0 bytes in ‘My Computer’. Also on that laptop I do find the disk in the ‘Device and Disk Manager’ with the correct size (2000gb).

I also ran the WD Diagnostics tool and both the Quick test and Extended test give me a PASS as result. The extended test took about 15 hours, probably because of all the files on the disk.

Someone from WD (Daniel) e-mailed me personally which I greatly appreciate. But after all this his solution seems to be ‘Write Zeros’ to and reinitialize the drive, which means all the data is lost. But I want to recover the data. Is this not possible? I already tried Testdisk and their tool Photorec for an instant, and it was already able to recover some pictures.

But I would still just like to regain normal access to the drive. Help is still welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Jules

Anyone? Or any other/better tools than Testdisk? Because Testdisk won’t work.

Thanks