Occasional Visitor
SamuelRC

WD Elements 1.5TB on Win7 64-bit. System Sees Drive as BD-ROM

Hello All,

I just unpacked my WD Elements 1.5TB drive and followed the minimal quick install instructions.

The OS (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit) found a driver (the driver is:  WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device

which I can read if I select the device in the Computer window and select Properties/Hardware)

The Drive appears in the Computer window as a BD-ROM with no removable media installed.

---

If I launch "Computer Management/Disk Management"

I see a 1.397GB drive with one partition

I'm sure this is the WD Elements drive.

But I cannot access it since, as noted above, Windows thinks it's a BD-ROM drive.

This error does not show up on the first page of a Google Search. I would appreciate help from the wise heads here.

My PC is an HP laptop, dv6-2150us

Thanks!

Occasional Visitor
SamuelRC

Re: WD Elements 1.5TB on Win7 64-bit. System Sees Drive as BD-ROM

It seems that I misinterpreted that BD-ROM icon, which I'm not sure what it is (possibly virtual clone drive).

But I noticed that in Computer Management/Disk Management

the 1.4GB device did not have a drive letter assigned. After assigning one, the WD Elements drive shows up in the Computer window and is accessible.

Honored Contributor
ragdexx

Re: WD Elements 1.5TB on Win7 64-bit. System Sees Drive as BD-ROM

Good to know..... I was wondering while i was reading the first post about that BD-ROM first time I see this. :manfrustrated:

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2013 Western Digital Corporation, All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Service | Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD