WD 3TB external hard drive... OK to delete backup files? Delete WD back-up?

I’ve been using my WD 3TB external drive for about a year… the backup files are taking up about 1TB of space and I’m wondering if it is ok to just delete these as well as the WD backup software (I don’t need the files on this drive backed up constantly)  If it is ok to do this what is the procedure for doing so? Thanks

I assume you are using Smartware to backup your files? If you no longer need your backup and don’t plan on continue to use Smartware, you can manually delete the backup folder “smartware.swstor” from the hard drive and stop the backup from the Smartware interface. 

I have been making backups manually–didn’t know there was another way. These it appears can only be deleted file by file or folder by folder if there is no other folder therein. Is smartware the way to create backups? What about safepoint? I saw a video about the latter but my software didn’t resemble the one in the video so not certain how to access or use. I simply create “jobs” and save them to a 3T drive piggybacked through USB. This is going to fill up if I can’t delete the previous backups. In a different world I can see software that explains what’s going on and helps you step by step. For, example, it turns out codes are not necessary for remote file sharing. Why have them then?

Thanks

Ralph