WD 3TB USB 3 MY Book Drive - overcoming 2TB limits - MBR/GPT - unanswered questions

asianhawk wrote:

However, my question is this: supposing the enclosure breaks after the 2yr warranty has run out. Obviously i’d have to take the drive out, but if i stick it in my machine direct to a sata port won’t i have lost all my data because only the enclosure can handle the conversion?

Only if you don’t have a backup. Be smart, don’t leave all your data on one place.

asianhawk wrote:

Assuming this might become an issue, can i get around this now by deleting the partitions and formatting  them as one (GPT type) using my win 7 64 bit machine (assuming i don’t need the drive to work on XP), before i start putting data on it? …ie. so that i could take the drive out and put it natively on a sata port or in another enclosure at a later date and not lose the data? What if i wanted to take the drive out of the enclosure and do this formatting, then if i wanted to put it back in the enclosure, would it still work?

Not going to work unless your MoBo natively supports 3TB drives when used internally if you take the drive out you void the warranty and then there’s no way to tell if it will work again on the case due to its firmware.