WD 3 TB suddendly not showing 400 gb out of 700 gb itunes music files

My WD 3 has 2 TB of music files on it. Suddenly is not showing 500 gb of itunes music files. Files are still there. They play in itunes. Windows explorer shows only folders A-K… L-Z are in LIMBO. Tried to defragment the drive. No difference. I tried to install the Life Guard Data program. That will not install on my Windows7 computer. Bad luck today. Will CHK disc work? How do you do that. Please help.

Welcome to the Community Cypress. Have you verified if the missing folders are hidden? Check the link below for more information.

Show hidden files - Windows Help - Microsoft

There are 7 folders on this drive. One folder was named MUSIC and contained 683GB of music files. A-Z. Suddenly folders L thru Z dissappeared from Windows Explorer. WD3 drive still says they are there. The lost files play in itunes. I tried to install this drive on a separate computer. When I reconnected back to original Windows 7 computer. NOW the entire folder named MUSIC is gone. Missing files still play in itunes. I see only 1 TB on information. Properties shows 2.2 TB used.

Before checking for HIDDEN FILES>. My Music Folder had entirely dissappeared. By checking for hidden files and then reverting back. This helped me somewhat. I am back to my original state of seeing Folders A thru K. I am still missing folders L thur Z. Somehow the folders are there. I just can’t see them in Windows Explorer.

Talked to tech support and they are telling me the drive is bad. I have to RMA the unit.