VCD Manager does not detect drive

I’m attempting to hide the VCD on a new drive.  I’ve done this numerous times before on various WD drives.

I have a new 1TB USB 3.0 drive model WDBAC0010HBK-AESN, it’s connected to the host system using USB 2.

I’ve updated the firmware to 1.014 (1.0.8.5).

VCD Manager v1.0.8.3 scans system, but does not detect the drive - returns with message “Please connect a WD Smartware drive to continue; the click Rescan

Same behavior on both XP and Windows 7.

Help anyone?

i got the same problem i use xp,  wb hard drive usb 2.0 ,when i connect  it to my pc it say’s its correctly installed and ready to use.

But it not show up in ‘my computer’.

I have tried alot of stuff to get it on, but nothings works,somebody got a solution for it pleas??

i have tried this also but i got this error: 

VCD Manager scans system, but does not detect the drive - returns with message “Please connect a WD Smartware drive to continue; the click Rescan

But it say’s like i earlier say’s  its correctly instaled and ready to use.

but nothing!!!

My system(s) detect the drive OK for normal use - just can’t hide the VCD using the VCD manager.

The same XP box has, in the past been used to successfully disable the VCD on 1.5TB and 2.0TB drives, just seems to be a problem with this particular model.

Your drive does not comes with the WD SmartWare virtual CD, it actually comes with the WD Unlocker. This CD is used to unlock the hard drive in case that you’ve configured a password protection on the drive. However, this CD will be invisible until the drive is locked. If the drive is locked, then it will appears under ‘‘Computer’’. You cannot disable that version of the virtual CD…

Hope it helps you to understand why the VCD manager is not working…

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)…

2 Likes

Gabe thanks for the explaination on the new type VCD.

Joe

Gabe - thanks from me also.

Obviously WDC need up update the info on their support / downloads page to reflect the change in behavior for this model.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=125&lang=en

Are you referring to this?

“Western Digital WDBACC0010HBK-AESN Elements Desktop 1TB External Hard Drive - USB 2.0 - 480MB/s Transfer Rate”

The model WDBAC0010HBK-AESN has no data on the net.

Can you verify this if you still having the problem?

Mabikay - SLK

Mabkay, he is not referring to a WD Elements, maybe he mistyped the model number. The model could be like this WDBACX0010BBK-EESN. And no, there’s no any problem (I believed), I’ve explained already why the VCD manager does not work… … :smiley: