Update Hard Drive firmware in DOS

So I have a functioning Hard Drive now…  I only partially know what I did but here it goes… 

1. Bought a used PCB board on ebay from a fried hard drive and crossed my fingers that it was still a good board… (It was the ‘exact’ same part number as mine)

2. Tried it out when I got it.  Computer initially found the drive, then disconnected itself after about 10 seconds and would not reconnect… I tried unplugging into different USB ports 3.0/2.0  etc…

3. At some point in all of this I tried deleting all of the drivers for the MyBook/SAS anything related… 

4. Dejected, I tried the old board again…  For some reason it seemed to have reset something and all of a sudden it had drives size specs re-established.  Still took forever to connect, and it would let me try anything every time I connected it (took a lot of patience) and still could not use any Windows programs to re-format/partition the drive.

5. I then decided to try Linux again (Ubuntu) from a flash drive on another laptop I have that normally runs windows 7 and only has legacy usb 2.0 ports.  

6. Used the “Drives” program (I think) and formatted / partition to NTFS.  (It worked this time since the drive size specs had been re-established again)

7. Went back to my windows 8 computer to use a software recovery program (EaseUS Data Recovery)…  and recovered nearly 95% of the data I thought was lost forever.

8. Copied all data to another drive

9. Repartitioned/formatted the WD Drive again

10. Copied the data back to it and it seems to be working perfectly (plugged into my Wireless Router.).  

Personal Lesson:  To Backup means … (an extra copy of your info)…  not just a data drive that you keep in a safe place.  Make sure you always have data stored in at least 2 locations to avoid a potential disaster of losing decades of photos etc…   

Not sure how much this will help others but I can tell you I am a happy camper…  Good Luck all! 

-Jason