Software Issue?

My My Book 2tb EHD has been working fine with my new Dell XPS8700 with Windows 8.1, since purchasing 5 months ago. Suddenly, yesterday the computer became extremely slow to boot up.

After checking other things on the computer, including the latest Updates, I opened the WD Smartware Software (2.2.4.26) and found that the “Backup” and “Retrieve” tabs were greyed out and inaccessible, and on the Home tab was the message “No Writeable Partition.” I then safely disconnected the My Book from the computer and the computer booted up fast as normal.

When I re-connected the My Book the Quick View icon was flashing green and it said “Drive Discovering.” That’s as far as it gets. The above tabs are stilled greyed out and the “No Writeable Partition” message is still showing on the Home tab. The white LED on the front had shown activity (rapid flashing) at first, but now is steady on and then slow flashing after a while as normal.

Does this indicate a software problem and if so, how do I go about re-installing it? I do know that the current software can be uninstalled in Windows Programs and Features, but how/where would I obtain the software to re-install it? I did a quick search of WD Support but could not find the 2.2.4.26 version for the My Book – I probably missed it. 

Also, if I right click on the WD Smartware in Windows Programs and Features to Un-install it, there is also an option to “Repair” the software. I’m new to Windows 8.1, and I’m no computer expert, so thought I’d ask before doing anything. Is the “Repair option worth a try?”

If you don’t think it’s a software issue, any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

The issue you are having is not related to the WD Smartware. It is reporting “No writable Partition” because the drive is not seen on the computer. 

I recommend you try some basic troubleshooting:

1- Connect the power adapter to the wall directly. Avoid any extension cords, power strips and surge protectors.

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the PC, not through a hub).

3- Make sure you hear the connection sound windows makes when recognizes a USB device.

4- Go to "Disk Management” to verify if the drive shows up there.

If the drive shows up in disk management but it is not seen on Computer, then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.

1 Like

You are correct. Right after posting this yesterday I realized the drive had become corrupted. This morning I reformatted the drive and re-copied all the data over. It took two attempts to copy it to get it all, but all appears to be well again. 

This issue appears to have been caused by my attempt to use the drive to create a Dell recovery disc and send it to the My Book. Dell says storing the recovery disc on your EHD is an option. The Dell software did recognize the My Book and attempted to send the data but I received an error message. Apparently that corrupted the drive. 

This is my first EHD, so not much experience. Can you tell me if this was caused possibly by my having the drive set for Category Backup rather than files backup and that is why it wouldn’t accept the data and it became corrupted?  Anyway, I won’t be trying that again.

Thank you very much for your interest and help.