Should I opened up the drive?

Some updates, I’ve brought my broken HDD to another mall which have more data recovery shops to get a second opinion on my HDD diagnostic.

I went to 6 shops, 5 of them tested it. Still as dead fish.

One of the shop plugged it long enough for it to be detected under some software called “Disk Utility” and it is detected as 2.2TB disk that needs to be initialized, which according to him, not a good sign.

Most of their comments varies, PCB board, ROM broken, FW corrupted.

However, all of them agreed that there’s no clicking sound as claimed by the first data recovery shop I went previously.

The disk sounds healthy.

And all of them said that data recovery is at very high possibility (sometimes I just think they wanted my business) but it is not going to be an easy task and hence, as you have expected, costly.

And one shop actually shared that the price is not related to how much data they can retrieved, but how complicated the retrieving process is. Hence, even if they just managed to retrieve 1 file out of my HDD, they will still charge me full price of it unless they can’t retrieve anything at all, then no charges.

So, I’m not going to gamble my money with it.

As a closure to my weeks and weeks of pain and headache (not to mention time and effort wasted), I will leave it be.

Maybe once in a while I might try and see if it does comes alive again (some actually shared that their drive works miraculously after 6 years) or I might just perform autospy on it.

So, its either I revived it or killed it 100%. Hahaha…