SMART FAIL Diagnostic Report

My Dell computer’s automated regular diagnostics scan using the Dell utility has reported a SMART Failure for my My Book EHD. Says it is in “imminent risk of failure.” A Dell tech. re-ran the diagnostics and confirmed this. The My Book seems to be working normally at the moment. 

There is no Diagnostic Tool link in my V2.4.2 Smartware. Can someone please confirm that this link is the right one for trying the WD diagnostic tool, in order to validate what the Dell utility is telling me:   

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=3  

or provide a link to the right diagnostic tool. 

The My Book did suffer a corruption two months ago and needed to be reformatted, but seems to have been working properly since then.  It is under warranty, being about six months old. 

Any other suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks. 

Hi, you can test your hard drive using Smartware or DLG. If either test fails, the hard drive needs to be replaced. For more information you can click on the following links.

Smartware test (Page 54 of the manual)

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf#page=58

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows 

Once again I thank you for your response.  I ran the test and the drive failed.  

When I replace the drive with the exact same model WD drive, can I leave the current WD Smartware software installed rather than uninstalling everything and re-installing it when I connect the new drive?  In other words, can I just drop the new WD drive in place and begin using it with the currently installed software?  

If I do have to uninstall the software and re-install it from the new replacement drive, would you please provide me with the exact file name to double click in order to launch the software Welcome screen?  I assume it will be in Program Files(x86) > Western Digital > WD Smartware > Name of File???  

The User Manual says :

“With AutoRun (AutoPlay) disabled, open Computer, click to open the My Book drive listing in Windows Explorer and double-click the WD SmartWare application file to display the Welcome to WD SmartWare screen (see Figure 4 on page 6).”

But WD Smartware is a folder, not an executable file and clicking on it opens a string of other files. Which of those files should be double clicked to launch the software please?  I can’t remember which one I clicked on last time. 

My OS  is  Windows 8.1  64 bit.

Thanks.