Recovered Data BUT lost warranty

Well update today, last night I got a email from support finally responding to my 1st support case message, see below. We will see cost $36 to send drive in.

"

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Joel xxxxx.>> We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. We have verified the drive has been replaced in RMA#xxxxx.>> Once we receive the faulty one, the replacement shall arrive within the next 5-7 business days plus customs inspections time.>> If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Hi Joel, I called support today to inquire about the warranty on this drive since I opened the case so I could remove the drive and recover my data. I was told no warranty once the case has been opened. So before I spend money on shipping it back to you I would like to know if it's still covered or not and if it would be, should I just send the drive or install it back in the My Book( white light) case and send it all back.

Thank you for your reply. We apologize for the misunderstanding. Since the drive was taken out for data recovery it won't void the warranty on it. We know the drives have to be taken out for recovering the data. It has been authorized to receive the drive. Please go ahead and send the unit and we will send you the replacement once receiving it. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. So if all goes well I will give WD a thumbs up.