Problem My Book Essential 1Tb *again*

After having owned a external HD Drive from WD that died without reason i again have a problem with the WD. This time it is the 1Tb MyBook

After i shut down the pc, i disconnected the WD.

Now i want to start up and de computer does not recognize the external HD and all my files are gone *again*.

Does anyone has a sollution. When i want to run Smartware it can’t find writable partitions.

It also does not have a F:/,  only E:/WD Smartware

Hope someone has a sollution because otherwise i will replace all the WD externals in my company (39x) bacause i’m getting sick and tired of all the frkn problems with the external WD drives, and the loss of a lot of important business data over the years

Does this only happen when you remove the hard drive after shutting down, to the point that it’s an isolated incodent? I can’t give a vivid answer but what I’d suggest until one can is to “safely remove” any WD you want to move, because it may not be displaying lights or sending information, but may be still in a way connected to the computer, and running.

I have noticed that when my computer is off, and the power to the computer is resurged (unplug the power cable, replug the power cable) the my book disk will spin.

For now if you know you are going to be moving the my book around, safely remove it before shutting off the computer.

i rebooted without the external drive. Then shut it down and restart with the external drive.

It now sees the F: but can’t open it (pc freeze). When i start up Smartware it says that it can’t find a writeable partition

still problems, after reboot, power off etc

I now see the E:/ and i can access the files on that part, The F:/ is visible but it has no files in it (when the HDD was working it was F:/MyBook now only F:/

light on the front is flashing

*bump* Light flashing, Smartware opens but pc freezes, F:/ is visible, no files displayed, double click, pc freezes. Does anyone have a solution for this annoying problem

I think you’ll never recover the data you lost. I’ve had the same problem with my WD My book essential and have lost many files two times already, and now I’m having problems again for the third time.

Sorry I dont have a solution to your problem but all i wanted to say is that I am never buying something from WD again and you should definitely replace all your external drives to prevent this kind of situations. 

IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AND IT SEEMS LIKE IT STARTYED OUT OF NOWHERE BECAUSE I WAS LISTENING TO MUSIC AT THE TIME. I WENT TO CHANGE AND IT STARTED SAYING THERE WAS NO MEDIA IN THE FOLDER. I WAS GOING TO ASK THE SAME QUESTION U ASKED ABOUT THE MY BOOK ESSENTIAL HARD DRIVE. IVE HAD MINE SINCE MARCH AND ALL MY MEDIA IS ON IT ALMOST THE WHOLE TB WAS FILLED WITH MUSIC, MOVIES AND PHOTOS. JUDING FROM THE POSTS AND REPLYS, IT DOES NOT SEEM LIKE I’LL GET IT BACK. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO MAY HAVE A SOLUTION ON HOW I CAN ACCESS OR RETRIEVE MY “LOST” MEDIA? ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED

I have had the exact same issue.  i have been using my 1TB Essentials on MAC with no issues. for quite a while  In fact I have 4 WD drives.  I received a notification to update my Firmware from WD for the Essential.  So I did…stupid me…I followed all the instructions to the letter.  When I rebooted my machine the Essentials stays on but I see no activity and it is not recognized as a USB device.  I can no longer access it, it does not power down by itself.  I am so pissed…**&*&^ I have written to WD,  lets see what the reply is…  I have lots of content that I do not want to lose.  I have read that I could get the drive out of the unit and read the data by attaching is physically to another PC…oh dear  WD…I am getting a headache…

I FOUND A PROGRAM THAT HELPS U RECOVER YOUR DATA. THE ONLY THING IS U HAVE TO LOAD OR USE THE PROGRAM ON A DIFFERENT DRIVE FROM THE ONE THAT’S GIVING U THE PROBLEM. I’LL TRY TO ATTACH IT TO THIS POST BUT UF NOT IT’S CALLED, EASEUS DATA RECOVERY. THEY OFFER A FREE VERSION WHICH IS ONLY ABLE TO RECOVER UP TO 1GB OF DATA.

I COULD NOT ATTACH IT BUT IF ANTONE WANTS A COPY OF THE PROGRAM (FREE OF CHARGE) U CAN EMAIL ME AND I’LL SEND U A COPY, [deleted for privacy] 

hey there, could you email me that program blsrect@yahoo.com? nd for all of you reading this post im having a problem where my mybook keeps “shutting down”. a box appears in the bottom right corner of my screen and says that “delayed failed diskwrite something somthing something”. sometimes it doesn’t turn on, sometimes when press and hold the power button, it stops humming but the light is still on… any suggestions besides “buy a new one” or “you’re  screwed”?

I have the same problem as you guys. When I plug it in while using win7 it slows down to a crawl but it doesn’t recognize the disk. Ubuntu doesn’t recognize it but it doesn’t get slow. This is the first and last time I buy WD products it didn’t last 5 months! I have an external Seagate disk for more than five years and still works perfectly!