Occasional Collector
mianom

PC suddenly stopped recognizing My Book Essential

Hello.

I actually have two WD external Hard Drives. The older one is the one I use daily to save work, the back up is a My Book Essential of 1 TB. Oddly enough, it was my newer Essential the one that gave me problems.

Everynow and then I would transfer data from my older WD external HD to My Book Essential. Today, I was going to do the same. But suddenly my computer did not even recognize My Book Essential upon USB connection.

I have a Windows XP OS (apparently 32 bits). So I wondered what happened to do this sudden change.

I assumed that after one of those Windows updates, it may have changed something out of my drives. So I came here to WD site, and downloaded the WD SES Driver to be installed in C:. And so I did, and nothing happened.

Please, anyone that has encountered a similar problem, I would like any advice.

Staff
John012

Re: PC suddenly stopped recognizing My Book Essential

First, make sure to test the drive on a different computer, cable or port.

Check if the drive appears on Disk Management and see what is the status.

Try the suggestions provided on the link bellow:

WD external drive is not assigned a drive letter by Windows or Mac OSX and data on the drive is inaccessible

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1164

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD