New MyBook 4TB...1/2 my drive won't format on Win7 64bit

That is exactly the same link I originally followed to do the formatting which split my drive in to 2 partitions, the 2nd of which was UNUSABLE. I don’t recall a spot where I could select between GTP and MRB but I will play around with it some more and let you know how it went. Thank you for the quick reply again :slight_smile:

*****************************************************************

EDIT:

I could not get the above to work, it did not have the option to select between MRB and GTP. I did some more searching around and finally found what DID worked. It did not envolve switching to GTP.

*****************************************************************

This is the link I found that WORKS FOR 2TB+ EXTERNAL DRIVES!! (for Win or Mac) … Formatting 2TB+ External Drives.

Download, extract and run the “WD Quick Formatter for Windows” or “WD Quick Formatter for Mac”.

“When WD Quick Formatter is finished, THE DRIVE WILL HAVE ONE PARTITION!! This is necessary in order to optimize the performance of the drive.” … Yeay!!! :smiley:

This worked flawlessly for me on my Win7 64bit laptop with my WD MyBook 4TB External Hard Drive and solved my problem of not being able to use the full 4TB on the disk :slight_smile:

-I formatted as “XP Compatible” since my old PC is an XP though I have not yet had a chance to confirm that it actualy does work with XP.

-Also now need to figure out how to partition this single Volume, if possible, without reverting it back to not being able to use the last partition like before.

Format result was:

Type:                Basic

Partition Style:  Master Boot Record (MBR)

New Volume:    3725.99 GB NTFS