Mybook Essentials locking up

I have a 3Tb Mybook Essentials that I use with my WDTV Live Plus. I’ve been having a problem with this one drive locking up (obviously hence the title.) I have 9 other drives of this sort, all of which use the same file formats, (MKV mostly) that work fine with the media players. (I have 4 of them), and this one drive is giving me problems. I’ve switched the media players, and no luck. I ran the smarware check for problems, did a complete scan through windows for errors, (that took a long time), formatted and replaced all files, but still no luck. This only happens with the media player (any of the 4) and not on my pc or laptop. The drive was bought specifically for the media player as I have 4 3Tb drives on the pc and don’t need backup. I’d like to try other options before putting in for an RMA. Ideas?

Hello, you can also try running a test with DLG. Check the link below for the steps. You can also check if you have the latest firmware installed for the WDTV.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MTI4MDY4My9zaWQvWWZOYkZJOWw%3D

1 Like

Well, after 6 hours of writing zeros, then doing the full test, another 5.5 hours, it found nothing wrong. I put 6 movies on the drive, then started watching them, sequencially. After the second movie, 43 minutes into it, the drive locked up again. I have to unplug the WDTV to reset it, or unplug the drive without using the eject feature, which I have been warned will hurt the drive. I’m getting frustrated, as I still don’t want to RMA this unless absolutely necessary. Other ideas?

Another USB cable could work. 

Nope. Different cables each time. Thank-you!

Probably 1 single bad sector.

I used the data lifeguard program, did a complete check and found nothing wrong…Frustrated, because this has happened to another of my 3 Tb drives. Still no problem with the 2 Tbs…