Mybook Elite access denied

I have a mybook elite that has updated firmware 2.018.  I have removed this drive from my old computer to my new computer, but now I can’t access the files.  I have tried to update smartware, updated firmware.  I believe the problem lies in the permissions that were on the drive.  A “computer expert” friend of my changed them when I have having troubles before.  It worked like a champ until I tried to move it to new computer.  I tried to change permissions again, but now the smartware runs and says the drive E: in not locked.  I tried using the VCD software but it can’t detect the drive.  I have every photo I have ever taken of my children on this drive and really don’t want to reformat it.  

Am I screwed, is there a solution?

Hoping for some help

EDIT:  I just updated the firmware again on a different maching (laptop) and I am able to see the drive with the latest smartware, but it is still showing unlocked and unaccessable withing windows explorer

Mike

Hello,

If the drive is showing but the files are not. It is possible the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. It may be possible to still extract the data utilizing data recovery software. There are several kinds of Data Recovery software available. If you do a  web search for  Data Recovery  it will yield plenty of data recovery software options.

the drive is showing and I can access multiple other folders such as

Movies folder

Music folder

kids folder

but pictures folder is not showing up in windows explorer.  I tried to change ownership of the drive and that’s when I got the access denied dialog box for N://Pictures

Try checking on Take Ownership. The permission/Ownership can be a real pain since Vista. A couple other ideas. One go into Device manager and delete the driver for the external disconnect and reboot system then reconnect drive. That should load a fresh driver. This might also help 

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-drive-or-flash-problems-how-to-cleanup-and-remove-old-usb-storage-drivers.145884/

Joe 

I was able to run Ubuntu and every file on that drive showed up.  I copied them to a new drive and its all good now.