MyBookWorld Ethernet 2TB

I recently turn my MBW off and then turned it on again.  Now some of my files say (Encoded File) after them.  They are word docs, PPTs, excel files, etc.  I have tried renaming them .doc for example and they open in Word, but are scambled.  How can I retrieve my files?  What is really strange is that most files were not impacted…it only affected a few.  Help appreciated, I really need some of the files…

Try this. im running windows xp so I hope this works for ya!

Open  My Computer  by double-clicking on the icon on the desktop.

Right-click on the drive letter that you wish to check for errors (usually C:) and click on the Properties  menu item.

Choose the “Tools” tab and click on the  Check Now…  button.

Two options are available in the next window:

• Automatically fix file system errors  will correct many file system errors detected. This is highly recommended.

• Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors will perform a search for areas of the hard drive that may be damaged or unusable. If found, this tool will mark those areas as “bad” and prevent your computer from using them in the future. This is a very useful feature but may extend the scan time as much as a few hours.

Click  Start.

Allow the Error Checking program to run its course until complete.

Restart the PC 

Thanks much for the help!

The MBW is a network drive.  When I click Properties, I do not get the same options as I do when I click properties on a hard drive off my computer.  Are you saying my MBW has disk errors?  The whole drive, with just a turn off and on?

Thanks!!