MyBook WD3200C032 won't work with Windows 7

I installed new Win 7.  It  showed in device manager but not in ’ my computer’  and I haven’t been able to access the files.  Systems says the drive needs to be formated before I can use it.  This drive contains my back up files after my main drive was lost. I can’t afford to loose the back up.  I get an error  " the volume does not contain a recognized file system" .  It worked fine with XP just couple of days ago. I also tried to connect it to other computers running XP and it had the same problem. Has anyone seen this before?

I had same problem! at the begining I used a old mybook essentail which is not work with Windows 7 and I bought a new one which is not work either so I have to return it to store. I sent a e-mail to Western support and got no answer!!!

Largo wrote:

I installed new Win 7.  It  showed in device manager but not in ’ my computer’  and I haven’t been able to access the files.  Systems says the drive needs to be formated before I can use it.  This drive contains my back up files after my main drive was lost. I can’t afford to loose the back up.  I get an error  " the volume does not contain a recognized file system" .  It worked fine with XP just couple of days ago. I also tried to connect it to other computers running XP and it had the same problem. Has anyone seen this before?

You didn’t by chance run the 7 install, with the drive attached, did you?  If so, you may need data recovery software to get your data back.  You may have blown the partition.

im having the same problem, except i went from vista to 7 and now it isnt showing up at all, wheni run the SmartWare utilities and such it says no drive found and when i look at the drive itself the lights indicating how much info is stored on it are not lit up. however it looks as though the “locked” light is on, no i did not have mine pluged in when i installed windows 7, i made sure of it.

Try it on another pc and see if it shows up.

Yes , I did ruin the partition when installing Windows 7. My bad. Lots of frustration and work to recover the data.

Now it’s all over with. Drive formated.  Thanks All !