My WDBACW0030HBK My Book Essential 3TB's USB board is burnt out. How do I retrieve the data on it?

Hi

The USB board on my WDBACW0030HBK My Book Essential 3TB is burnt out. How do I retrieve the data on the drive?

I’ve tried installing the 3TB Caviar Green WD30EZRS drive within it as an internal drive but my Windows 7 PC won’t recognise it. .

I’ve also tried connecting it with a SATA to USB cable but likewise my PC won’t recognise it unless I initialise the drive as GPT, which would presumably wipe the data.

Please can you help. The data is precious. 

Thank you! 

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

You can try to check on Google to see if there is any data recovery software that can help since the drive does come up, but as not initialized. Lets see if there is another user that can help you out with this or share some tips and information. 

The drive is probably hardware encrypted by the burned out board. Check the posts by fzabkar. He has walked people through bypassing the burnt diode and making the drive usable. Using the wrong voltage adapter is the most common reason for burnt boards.

Joe