My Passport permanently connected

Hi:

Apologies for asking something that looks like it has been answered before, but I thought best if I confirm.

I have a My Passport USB external drive that I bought late last year. 

I usually stream music wirelesses  from my PC to a player. But, my music collection is outgrowing the PC’s memory. I was thinking of moving the music on the My Passport drive and leaving it permanently connected so that whenever I’m streaming music it will be read straight off My Passport. 

I’m wondering if this will burn my drive out : is it built to do this sort of thing? Or is it really designed/built only for intermittent use?

Thanks for your help.

S

Do not use one drive as the only source to save important files. Make sure you have at least 2 copies on different devices.

Joe

Thanks Joe. Good advice as my PC backup is also on the My Passport drive.

What I’m mostly interested in in whether it’s designed/built to be permanently connected. I guess it may have been built with the intention of intermittent use rather than constantly whirring away. 

As a test, I’ve got in plugged in now. I haven’t accessed it for 1/2 hour or so but it’s still making noise. Not sure if the drive is supposed to go to sleep if not used for a certain amount of time. 

Anyone know whether I can leave in connected to my PC?

Thanks.