My Book formatted with Windows instead of its own software

I recently purchased and registered a “My Book Essentials’ 2TB drive. My three year old XP machine is only USB2 capable and has a WD hard drive.

After transferring nearly 1TB of data from my internal hard drive, I decided to re-organise my files and start again and formatted the My Book Essentials using the Windows formatter.

This action removed the WD software, which I have tried to download and re-install from WD website and backup my data again.

Something is wrong and believe I have deleted any pre-installed software. Sometimes after re-booting, there is no tray icon for My Book and a message appears. I click the WD smartware icon from My Computer I find the My Book ‘categorizing my files’ even when unplugged!!! and the backup and retrieve tabs are greyed out.

Can anyone advise how to resolve this problem. WD are way too hard to contact

Thank you intelligent ones,

thehalfwit

First make sure that adobe flash player is version 11 or newer, java is at least update 7 and microsoft .net framework is 4. You just need to click the my book icon on the home tab to enable the back up and retrieve tab, after that click start back up to start the back up. Wd smartware is only compatible with windows xp sp3 os or up. If your windows xp does not have sp3 then update your os.