My Book World Edition

I have the My Book World Edition external drive.  Before it was attached to our router but we moved and now there is no router to attach it to.  Does anyone know who I can still hook this up to my pc running winxp professional? 

thank you

M

1 Like

Reset the drive first, the network settings will be reset to default.

Connect the drive using a ethernet cable directly to the computer.

Open Command Prompt.

Start->Run->CMD.

Ping the drive, To ping type the following in the command prompt.

ping mybookworld

Check if you get reply, If yes Map the drive under my computer. To Map.

Right click my computer->map network drive-> (beside folder) [\mybookworld\publick](file://%5C%5Cmybookworld%5Cpublick) → Finish.

2 Likes

I only have one ethernet plug on my computer and the Internet is plugged in there.  I’m sorry if I didn’t mention that in  my earlier post 

M

1 Like

the only way to access the drive is by conneting the drive to the ethernet port. most of the computers have only one port and currently we don’t have any work around, you can get a ethernet hub or a switch to solve the problem.

1 Like

Any special type of switch or is it just a basic item I can ask for at an electronic store?

YOU CAN USE A NORMAL 4 PORT ETHERNET SWITCH USED FOR NETWORKS, AVAILABLE IN ANY COMPUTER STORE.

THANK YOU.

IPADDRESS

2 Likes

Before you go out any purchase anything, what the setup of your network. It should Internet via cable or dsl then your router then computer or switch. If don’t have router then you would need one. If you do but don’t have any extra ports free then you need a switch.

Internet > Router > Switch/Computer/My Book World.

1 Like