My Book Studio Edition II run eSata for truth?

I have doubts!

I’m using 2TB in RAID 0 mode (1TB usable)

My PC has an eSATA on-bord controller (JMicron) and i’m using MyBook as a boot disk (there is only it) and i was unsatisfied with its speed (very slow) because the BIOS was detecting the HD as an IDE disk.

I was expecting to get a fast system, considering SATA2 would give me some thing greater than 150MB/s.

I had asked to WD support and they said that only the compatible controllers listed here could work for true. Ok, this week i resolved spend some money to get all eSATA power (or speed) and then i bought the Promise SATA300 TX4302 SATA PCI controller card PCI / 66 MHz.

After installed i did a benchmark and compared with the previous results from my JMicron controller and the result was still worst.

JMicron benchmark:

Promise benchmark:

JMicron benchmark:

Promise benchmark:

JMicron benchmark:                                 Promise benchmark:

Is there some one getting a real SATA speed from this HD?

The flat line at the beginning of the JMicron benchmark suggests that the transfer rate may be limited by the bridge chip inside the enclosure.

In any case, the HDs inside the enclosure appear to be 5400 RPM drives. This is suggested by the access time graph which is about 10 - 11 msec wide, ie the time required for one rotation.

In fact, I suspect you may find two older drives rather than recent Caviar Green models.

fzabkar , thanks for your comments.

I had opted for ‘My Book Studio Edition II’ because its specification ‘says’ that eSATA controller was a SATAII, and this made me to believe i’ll have a fast HD outside of the PC case. [Serial Bus Transfer Rate (eSATA)3 Gb/s (Max)]

If the HDs inside be a 5400 RPM drives, then the WD is lying because in the specification is written: Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM (nominal)

I’ll check this - i never had opened the enclosure. 

Micheus wrote:

fzabkar , thanks for your comments.

I had opted for ‘My Book Studio Edition II’ because its specification ‘says’ that eSATA controller was a SATAII, and this made me to believe i’ll have a fast HD outside of the PC case. [Serial Bus Transfer Rate (eSATA)3 Gb/s (Max)]

If the HDs inside be a 5400 RPM drives, then the WD is lying because in the specification is written: Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM (nominal)

I’ll check this - i never had opened the enclosure. 

Have you tried changing to AHCI mode in BIOS (this requires os re-installation)?  Also, keep in mind that you will also run in potential bottlenecks with your SouthBridge.

Brandon_D wrote:> Have you tried changing to AHCI mode in BIOS?  Also, keep in mind that you will also run in potential bottlenecks with your SouthBridge.

Just more info…

• The motherboard is an ASUS Rampage II Extreme and it uses Intel® X58 /ICH10R chipset;

• The BIOS is updated;

• I already have installed the latest device drivers from ASUS.

The IHCI Configuration on BIOS is used only for the internals SATA connectors.

As i have only one HD connected to the eSATA connector (from JMicron), in the BIOS the JMicron eSATA/PATA Controller is enabled and the Controller Mode is setted to AHCI.

So , i think all settings are fine.