My Book Essential Won't Recognized Anymore

Hello There,

I would like to know what happen to my 2TB WD My Book Essential. It won’t recognize anymore both on my TV and laptop. It says on my laptop that “USB Device Not Recognized: One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.” and  when I connected it to my TV, no pop anymore and it said, " No external storage device found. Check the connection status."

It happened yesterday when I connected it to my TV and got a power surge then I tried it again, so it was recognized then I managed to watch a movie then in the middle of the movie, the device got disconnected. it happened 3 times, then it won’t recognized it anymore. I’m so worried because I had my valuable stuff on it and I don’t want to lose it. I already did some of the troubleshooting like, uninstalling the “Unknown Device” in Device Manager under USB Controllers and restarted the laptop and still reconnect the WD device, still won’t recognize. Same pop-up message. Tried it on TV, still no external device was attached. I downloaded the SES driver, it successfully installed, yet no solution. I tried also to disconnect the USB wire and the power adaptor from my WD device and rest it for couple of hours. I tried to use it again, still it won’t recognized both on laptop and TV. I connect the device directly to the wall outlet.

Please advise solutions to this case. Thank you so much for reading.

Hi, Have you tried using another USB cabled to connect the My Book? You can also try runnign a test using DLG. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows