My Book Essential Drivers

Good morning,

I just bought the 1.5 TB My Book Essentials on Sunday.  When I plugged it in, I had automatically clicked on the Windows 7 “install hardware” dialog box where it proceeded to incomplete the installation (couldn’t find driver).

Having read the WD manual afterwards, I obviously want to install the proper WD dirvers and be able to use the tools associated with WD.  My question is how can I reinstall the drivers?  I took a look at the device manager hoping that I would be able to delete the old driver and then install the new , but of course I could not find the driver (not installed I believe). 

When I plug in the HD, the autorun box does appear and I have clicked on it in the hopes of being able to run the embedded driver, but there are no programs or drivers associated.  Should I download the latest software and utility drivers?

I did run a backup through Windows 7 Home Premium, but as the manual says, I cannot see what has been backed up.  I saw the HD transfer music files, but I didn’t see (I could have missed it) it back up my photos.  I can see that the system image is about 75% of the backed up file… might this mean that the images were backed up?  The backup file was about 95 GB and I know my laptop’s HD has only consumed about 77GB.

Thanks for your time and knowledge. I just want to clear this up as soon as possible because once I have confirmed my laptop has been backed up (inc. my photos), then I have to ship out the laptop for repairs.

Thanks again.  I look forward to hearing from you.
Simon

Hi dude!!!

The drivers can be found here. It’s the link called “WD SES Driver”.

Hope it helps!

I wouldn’t trust WD Smartware for backup requirements. Try using Microsoft SyncToy downloaded from here. (free) This will create a mirror image of folders you have choose to backup and can be accessed from any PC.

MS SyncToy

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

The driver you’re looking for is SES driver. You can download it from here. It is now available on Windows automatic update.

SES Driver Download

http://download.wdc.com/smartware/WD_SES_Device_Driver.zip

1 Like