My Book Essential 3.0 only works in USB 2.0 ports and I can't update firmware

So My Book Essential 3.0 works fine in USB 2.0 ports, but doesn’t appear at all with USB 3.0 ports. I’ve seen other people with this same problem, but I haven’t found a solution yet. I’ve noticed in the release notes of the firmware updater that the problem might be solved by updating it to the last version (3.1.0.11B), but the updater won’t go past version 1.016. How can I update to the last version? Is there a way to update it manually? Or anything else I can try to solve the problem?

To be clear, the device seems to work (it makes sounds and vibrates) when connected to an USB 3.0 port, but it doesn’t appear in My Computer. I have a different external drive with USB 3.0 that works fine, so it’s not the computer. That drive also works when using the My Book Essential 3.0 cable, so it’s not the cable either. I  have also formatted the drive after I encountered this problem, so it’s not anything in it that it’s causing the problem. I can’t think of anything else apartt from the My Book Essential 3.0 firmware, which is why I want to update it.

The other USB 3.0 hard drive that you have, is it also a western digital hard drive? Try to check if the my book is recognized on the disk management window.

No, the other hard drive is not a WD hard drive and the my book is not recognized on the disk management window.

Did USB 3.0 come on the computer or is this an addon card? Look in Device Manager and see if there are any yellow flags in the USB area. It might need a driver update.

Joe

It’s not an addon card, I’m using an Asus P8Z77-V as a motherboard. I had updated all the drivers, there are no yellow flags.

I had this problem (in fact I am still waiting for WD to reply) but I had a look in the bios and I found an option to use motherboard PNP or the OS PNP (plug and play). It was set up for the motherboard, and my “Elements” ext HD was not showing in USB  3; so I changed it to OS selection and it now shows in USB 2 and 3.

Might be worth a try - my mobo is an Asus.