My Book 4TB with USB 3.0 Hub

Hello there,

I have 2 External HDD My Book 3TB & 4TB plug in directly to the USB 3.0 connector of my notebook Dell XPS 17. 

Yesterday I bought a third External HDD My Book 4TB and I thought I could use a 3.0 USB HUB to connect all of them but, I read some old post here telling not to do that. 

My question is… is there any problem connecting my 3 HDDs to a 3.0 USB HUB?

I’m taking about these HUBS  http://www.ianker.com/USB-Data-Hubs/category-c11-s1

Which one should I buy IF there is no problem with my HDDs?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Community.

Compatibility and performance depend on the USB hub itself. Western Digital does not feature a list of compatible/tested USB hubs at this time though since WD recommends direct interface connections.

1 Like

One question, if I decided to buy a USB 3.0, do I need to buy a powered hub?

I mean, the WD My Book already has a power adapter. Do I still need to buy a powered hub?

Thank you.

I finally bought an  Anker USB 3.0 7-Port Hub with 1 BC 1.2 Charging Port

Everything works just fine with my 3 WD MyBook!

1 Like

I am looking for a solution to this also and have My Books, My Passports and LaCie dives with power. My My Books are 6TB but come with separate power and I was looking at the 7 data port/3 charging port anker hub. I can’t see all of the wires in your photo so my question is do you plug the anker hub into the computer, then plug your hard drives into the hub then the power supplies for both the hub and the hard drives all into the wall or do you just plug the hard drives into the hub and then the hub into the power and then leave the hard drive power units disconnected so that they run off the hub power? I am presuming that may not be enough power but I am wary of overloading something and losing data. Thanks for the post. Very useful.

Ali :slight_smile: