My Book 3.0 wirelessly to Netgear WNDR4500 Router

Got my 3.0 My book yesterday and when connected to my laptop a new Dell XPS I7 processor the best they had the My Book seems to show ok using the Smartware software.

It seemed while on the settings tab and the set up drive lights up but didnt seem to give me any options useful.

I connected the My Book to the USB port on my Netgear4500 router to go thru the readyshare area and now on the settings tab the Setup Drive don’t light up.

Anyway I tried backup and it connects wirelessly to the My Book but after a few tries it would stop backing up around 20% and loose network connection with error code 0x81000039

I searched and there was suggestions to change the Local Policies to:

Change the level to “Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”

That didn’t seem to work as others posted.

So also found where some got it to work by mapping the network drive.

So far so good, I am further then before, maybe 25% without network connection loss.

Anyway, is there no way for the smartware to work by wireless to the My Book?

I mean if I can wirelessly do a backup to the My Book thru the ways listed above, why don’t it seem to connect wirelessly using the smartware program?

UPDATE: This backup made it to 50% before connection loss to network, so Mapping the drive helped but didn’t solve this issue.

UPDATE 2: Again the backup stopped with this message in backup log errors

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\SyncUP. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

Called support they weren’t a lot of help, the guy said that the My Book wasn’t tested for wireless to buy a My Book Live unit.

Now I am wondering if I download the firmware for a My Book Live and install it to the My Book Essential if that will work rather then use this as a decoration.

It will not work, if you try installing the My Book Live firmware on a My Book 3.0. I don’t think it even allows you to begging installing it.

1 Like

Thanks, guess I will have to dish out a couple hundred more and format this thing for the kids PS3 game.