My Book 2TB Is freezing my laptop and does not work? (Only had it 1 week!)

Hi can anyone help or has anyone had the same problem? I have been using a My Book 2tb to store Mp3’s and photoshop projects and have always disconnected it safely and today for some reason it just will not work. When I connect it to my laptop the laptop slows right down, then when I click on “Computer” to access the drive my laptop freezes completely and will not come back on until I unplug the Hard drive.

I would much prefer to have the problem solved as there is alot of files on there that I stupidly didnt back up anywhere else.

What OS are you using? Look in Disk Management and see if the drive shows there, look down by the bars and see what it says.

Joe

I am using Vista,  if i go to disk management when it is connected nothing loads up at all not even drive C and D and my laptop freezes. Then as soon as I unconnect the drive the C and D drives appear in disk management and the laptop works perfect.

It seems I am going to lose all files on the drive as it is not possible to plug it in to any computer as I have tried it in two others and had exactly the same results.

Hi

I hope no one is waiting for service from WD on this because I just phoned support about issues with the 2TB My Book that I just purchaed yesterday that was freezing up my computer and they claimed it was a faulty product.  I actually bought two of these drives (I have two computers), both aren’t working and they claimed it was possible that both would be faulty instead of actually trying to assist in helping me fix the problem.  I advised him that maybe then WD has a real quality control problem if that is the case. 

This all started when my 1 TB My Book suddenly stopped being recognized in My Computer (it was only 10 months old) and then would also make my computer freeze up.  I thought it was broken thus the purchase of the two new products and I told support this as well…and he indicated that it was possible that all 3 were faulty??!

The guy said that this type of thing was something he hadn’t heard about before so I advised him that when searching google using “WD My Book causes Windows XP computer to freeze” yields 115,000 results!   My USB ports are working with all my other devices, the computer works as it always has without issue except for this so it must be a compatibility issue.  Note also that when the product is first plugged in, Windows recognizes it but then when I try to go into Manage devices it freezes, though strangely my mouse is still operational.

With support like this I’m certain I’ll need to return these drives and get another product but if anyone finds a solution maybe I can use it with my 1TB version.

Thanks.

I’m having the same exact problem with my WD My Book 3.0 2TB, it freezes my desktop when plugged in, nothing related to the HDDs. Fortunately I figured out that if I turn the computer on with it plugged in everything works just fine. WD Support didn’t reply to the second time I wrote them about this.

I should mention that I tried the HDD on 3 different computers and only on my desktop it freezes, on my laptop and my other, older and weaker desktop it worked without the driver being installed! :slight_smile: I’m running XP SP3, but maybe my solution works for you too, you never know! :smiley:

I’m having the same exact problem with my WD My Book 3.0 2TB, it freezes my desktop when plugged in, nothing related to the HDDs. Fortunately I figured out that if I turn the computer on with it plugged in everything works just fine. WD Support didn’t reply to the second time I wrote them about this.

I should mention that I tried the HDD on 3 different computers and only on my desktop it freezes, on my laptop and my other, older and weaker desktop it worked without the driver being installed! :slight_smile: I’m running XP SP3, but maybe my solution works for you too, you never know! :smiley:

I  have had my HP Pavilion desktop running Windows 7 64-bit freeze upon startup for months. I blamed it on everything, starting from HP to the USB ports to an old mouse, and am now finally realizing the WD drive is the problem. Apparently it is just plain not compatible with Windows 7 64-bit. Which explains why it runs fine with every other computer at our house. But that one computer is completely disabled whenever the WD drive is on and connected to the network, even when the HP computer itself is not even accessing it. As soon as it’s started up and you click on anything, it freezes (or at least becomes so extremely slow it’s as good as frozen) and nothing will help but turning off the power button. See this thread re Windows 7 64-bit compatibility. http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showthread.php/136547-Windows7-Pro-64-bit-and-Western-Digital-My-Book-Live-2-TB-NAS-DriveThere doesn’t seem to be a solution short of not using the WD drive anymore, but if there is, I’d love to hear it!