My 2TB MyBook Essential external hard drive won't show

Won’t shop up on my laptop.  I’ve tried all the usb ports, restarting the computer, and even switched the power supply cord with one of my other external drive’s cords, still nothing.  I don’t see why this thing is not working, but I am getting VERY angry, seeing that I spent good money on it.  Can anyone help me at all?..

I’m having the same issue…It’s gotten extremely difficult to access the drive. It just keeps flashing but no window no driver installation NOTHING. I too have used all my usb ports restarted and read what DID come with the product, because not even a user’s manual was packaged with it…and for the amount of money that was spent YOU’D THINK it wouldn’t be so difficult to install and use. Extremely dissappointed…about to get a refund.

I have been following with WD support for past two months for a similar problem I am facing, where the power supply cord is not working and the product is under warranty. They have kept me running from one commitment to other for the past two months and NOTHING. There has not been any more frustrating product purchase I have made ever. WD is extremely UNPROFESSIONAL and has absolutely no methodology to deal with the customers who have paid for their INCOMPETENT product.

urvi30 wrote:

I have been following with WD support for past two months for a similar problem I am facing, where the power supply cord is not working and the product is under warranty. They have kept me running from one commitment to other for the past two months and NOTHING. There has not been any more frustrating product purchase I have made ever. WD is extremely UNPROFESSIONAL and has absolutely no methodology to deal with the customers who have paid for their INCOMPETENT product.

Whatever do you mean they (WD?) have kept me running from one commitment to another?  Have any of you attempted to contact WD about this?  Maybe you should.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

bill_s wrote:

urvi30 wrote:

I have been following with WD support for past two months for a similar problem I am facing, where the power supply cord is not working and the product is under warranty. They have kept me running… (shortened)

Whatever do you mean they (WD?) have kept me running from one commitment to another?  Have any of you attempted to contact WD about this?  Maybe you should.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Maybe Mr. Manager hasn’t read a previous post from Mr. urvi30:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/Extremely-disappointing-and-unprofessional-company-I-have-ever/td-p/63586

I did, so I think is easy to understand what is the meaning of “they” (WD?). But maybe I’m a robot. :robottongue:

All the best or just luck & patience.

Thankyou Mr MacVaio.

And as for Mr Manager, when I say I have been given a commitment, I sure as hope you dont imagine me giving myself a commitment on behalf of WD. So yes, we have contacted WD support and got commitments after commitments till I am almost ready to go to my garage with the drive and a hammer! And additionally, have YOU ever tried contacting WD phone support? Atleast in India? I have phone bills that have nothing to do with me talking to real people when I call WD helpdesks. If you actually refer to the community complaints, you will notice that most people giveup on a resolution after trying to call WD helpdesk twice. We have tried numerous times. In a state of utter frustration when we call WD Helpdesk to listen to the music for over an hour, the frustration does no better then peak!!

Obviously, Mr. Manager didn’t remember reading the original post.  My apologies.  But you must admit, when I read that they, WD, had you running from one commitment to another, my mind saw something completely different.  I just didn’t realize you were speaking metaphorically.

When i purchase my external hard drive I had Windows Xp. I have recently bought a newer computer and it has Windows 7. I keep getting a error message on my memeo auto backup. Message Memeo Auto Backup cannot be run under this version of windows. Lookup manual and it states it is compatiable with windows 7. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou Bill, for the honest apology. All I now want if a resolution. Long as I get my money’s worth at the end of the day, I ll be happy.

My first entry to the community, and I am blowing a hot wind with all the others who enter here with complaints which string along in large numbers,

Western Digital was often a common selection for my internal drives as they were routinely well installed with no fuss or  text manipulation, but then most drives were accepted by MS Windows if the needed info was on the install disks or the drives. Take away a prepared install info device, and Windows often became a dice throwing operation. Hardware from overseas and MS’s cryptic content and path details made failure possible on what should be a 1,2,3, path. Chaos in appearance while the river of corporate excuses took us to uncharted shadowlands. That was a thirty year path that became similar to a Grand Canyon rapids vacation. I believe it became worse with added complexity, and the history of cryptic file coding, and Far East language incompatible interactions.

I bought a 2TB My Book three weeks past, and somehow the drive worked with Free Download Manager reasonably without being obviously present. Maybe luck carried forward. This week I bought another, for another computer I use, and thought to use it on the first computer initially to ensure it worked. It simply isn’t recorded and rapidly blinks. I’ve tried for three hours with every combination, and WD Smartware cannot see it, my computer cannot see it, yet it does shoe a generic USB mass storage device, and separately a WES device in two spots on Device Manager. No drive info, no updates or formatting possible.

Prior to this USB 2.0 My Book second device, I also bought and tried to install(plug-in) a USB 3.0 My Book. The same lack of recognition by Windows and online WD Smartware and Updater. Seven hours of wasted effort additional.

I returned the 3.0 and tried the current failed USB 2.0 speed device, as I described.

The WD story score is 1 win, and 2 failures.

I called support in India, and they listened but obviously didn;t know what to say about technical possibilities. No info, so I gave a list of complaints. I received a silent response, and nothing more. That took about 1/2 hour.

The tele service worker actually repeatedly claimed I should reformat my first working drive, ever though it worked, and had 200+ GB of image files on it.

All I see now is damages and non-sense at WD.

This should be investigated as gross product failure/fraud possibly.

I use more than a dozen Seagate external drives without even one failure, and not even a glitch of confusion or mis-functioning w/ them for several years. 5 year warrantee w/ Seagate, and only 1 1/2 year with WD. 1/2 year shelf expiration?That’s real deceit at work.

Bad technique. Not Windows friendly. Lack of printed warnings and ref info. Lack of knowledgeable support. Software can’t even find the drive and Windows can’t find the drivers/software.No CD/DVD

" MS lit the fire, but WD is fanning the flames. "