Occasional Visitor
bookworm14

Laptop does not see the external hard drive

I have a WD external hard drive model #WD5000H1cs-00. For several years this ran on my pc with Windows XP. I recently moved the drive to a laptop running Windows Vista and now the laptop does not see the drive. What do I need to do to get the laptop to see the drive?

bookworm14

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: Laptop does not see the external hard drive

For a start go into disk Management and see if the drive is shown there and see if it has a drive letter and is online.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Occasional Visitor
bookworm14

That's what I meant when I say that the computer does not see the external drive: it is not listed. What did you think I meant?

bookworm14

Valued Contributor
trythesefirst

First directly connect the laptops power adapter to a wall outlet. Then check if there are any yellow triangle with an excalmation point in device manager. If there is update them

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

A lot of people only look in My Computer and don't even know what Disk Manager is.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Valued Contributor
trythesefirst

Click start button/Right click My computer or Computer/Click manage/Click device manager

Check if there is any yellow triangle. Specially Serial bus Controller drivers. it should be listed there.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD