Installation of WD Smartware

Got disk today. After upgrading with latest firmware and software, couldn’t install WD software - got message: Windows cannot find C:\Program Files(x86)\Western Digital\WDSmartWare.exe. I have subsequently copied files to the disk but would like the back-up software. Where have I gone wrong? I am using Windows 7 on a Dell XPS17.

I have inadvertently abbreviated my error message. It should read: ‘Windows cannot find C:\Program Files(x86)\Western Digital\WD Smartware\Front Parlor\WDSmartWare.exe’. The file is actually located in C:\Program Files\Western Digital and I think it is something to do with my computer being 64 bit.

I have further info to add. When I now try double-clicking on the file ‘WDSmartWare.exe’ that came with the drive, I get the message: ‘Exception Assertion! File=.\ApolloDrive.cpp Line-936’. I guess I need to reinstall but am unsure how to do that. I can no longer even get access to the user manual.

Says solved. Where is solution?  This back-up drive is looking more and more like a **bleep**

jasinvt wrote:

Says solved. Where is solution?  This back-up drive is looking more and more like a **bleep**

Yeah same here… I tried copying the directory into the Program Files(x86) folder to trick it but that Front Parlor directory it’s looking for doesn’t even exist in the original installation.  The drive worked when I first plugged it in yesterday but now it’s useless.

had the same problem, and message… can’t say I found a solution, however, I did reinstall the windows smartware software 2 more times, and then the problem worked itself out. can’t explain how this worked, or why, but maybe try reinstalling a few times and continue checking each time to see if it works. hope it helps!

mdalzell wrote:

jasinvt wrote:

Yeah same here… I tried copying the directory into the Program Files(x86) folder to trick it but that Front Parlor directory it’s looking for doesn’t even exist in the original installation.  The drive worked when I first plugged it in yesterday but now it’s useless.

jasinvt and mdalzell

The OP has a 64 bit OS… If you do as well then running the x86 will not work.

Uninstall the software and then run the installation from the smartware application on the drive

it will auto find the correct installer package for your OS

What I recommend is to install the latest version of SmartWare, you can download it from here.

That did not work either.  It went through all the motions and at the last second I got the message:  “Installation unsuccessful (Error Code 1603).  Please try again or contact WD support for assistance.”  Tried the process twice and got the same result.

DarylS wrote:

That did not work either.  It went through all the motions and at the last second I got the message:  “Installation unsuccessful (Error Code 1603).  Please try again or contact WD support for assistance.”  Tried the process twice and got the same result.

then contact support about this issue

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?wdc_lang=en