How to use My Book without WD Smartware

Hi again,

Adding to my discoveries with the MyBook Live. Another way to access the MyBook is to log into WD2Go.com and there is the option to “Open in Explorer” which then gives you the standard Windows Explorer access to your files. Again without Smartware installed.

As a new user to MyBook, I really like the concept and I think it will serve my needs of having the benefits of “cloud storage” without the ongoing costs plus the knowledge that my data are in my possession. I think the collection of WD software could use an overhaul for clarity and re-naming for clarity. For instance, if SmartWare is really mainly for backup, rennaming it SmartBackup would clarify things. And standardizing the user interface would help so whether you accesthe drive through mybook/live in a browser or through WD2Go.com, the interface should offer the same utilities. 

The learning curve is quite high. I’m several weeks into owning the MyBook drive and I still haven’t figured it all out. However, what I have working works great,. 

-Tony