How do i remove the "read only " protection for my book 1.5 TB external hard drive?

I just encountered the same problem.

I have had the drive for about a month and happily writing to it until just now.

I have Compaq Presario, AMD Athlon Dual Core with 3 GB RAM running Ubuntu 8.10 with all available security updates.

“mount” says that the drive is mounted rw, nouid. I can look at the files on the drive and see ther premissions. The

group and user are root and the dirs are wide open. The filesystem is NTFS and although I am not happy that the POSIX premissions have been turned all the way on, the drive DID work.

So even ‘sudo touch foo’ at the toplevel dir fails and even after rebooting, both hot and cold.

It is a warm day, thank God, the spring had been cool here, I fear that I wouldn’t have gotten as much use out of the product for I am concerned about heating. Could heat wreck the firmware that does the write? I will leave the

thing alone and reboot when it is cooler, hoping the function will come back. Right now I am disappointed, judging by the bad commentary I’ve seen in a Google search. One would think that a major drive manufacturer would be more sensative to such bad press. Is there a class action suit happening, anyone?

Bruce Salem