Visitor
Jimbo1

How do I reformat MY Passport (for PC) for use with both Mac and PC?

I recently purchased an Apple MacBook Air and also have a Dell laptop.  My Passport is serial number WXM1C5294201.

How do I re-format MY Passport for PC so that it will work  with Mac and PC?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: How do I reformat MY Passport (for PC) for use with both Mac and PC?

Leave it formated for Windows and download NTFS-3G http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24481/ntfs-3g for the Mac. The other alternative if format it FAT32 the down side is the largest file it will handle is 4 gig.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Visitor
Jimbo1

I re-formatted the drive with my MacBook Air to exFAT, which I understand supercedes FAT32. However, when I plug MY Passport into my Dell laptop, I receive an error message "t the disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format now?"

I'm selecting no because I do not want to lose data.

Why is it asking me to reformat?

Occasional Visitor
RNAnnieCHKD

That is my question.  Can I use a passport with both a PC and a Mac?  If so how?

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Format the drive for Windows NTFS then download one of these in  post 6 http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Portable-Drives/unwritable-drive/td-p/435872

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD