Fixed a Western Digital External 2T Hard Drive with Broken USB

This literally just happened to me and at the WORST possible time.  First off my laptop HDD crashed due to multiple issues with my OS so I was in the process of starting up with a virtual OS disc to recover the contents (IMPORTANT WORK INFO!) and the USB connector came off inside the enclosure for my 2TB WD external hdd when I was hooking it up to pull the 300GB of data…now I am down 2 hard drives.  I have an extended warranty through AAFES (Base Exchange on military base) but I don’t see how I would be able to recover my data since they would probably just send me a new drive and take mine back without transfering data…So it boils down to voiding my warranty and recovering my data with this fix or chance sending it in.  I really feel better about this whole debacle that the resolder has fixed it for folks.  I have almost 1TB of data on the external (photo archives, ect.) so need to get this fixed one way or another and this data is also more important than a warranty if it comes down to it.  Thank you for the confidence that my years of photos,etc I backed up to this drive may not be gone forever.  I will post back once the dust settles if this worked.  Luckily my custom built laptop has 2 HDD drive slots and I will be able to slave in a new HDD to pull everything off the failing drive…just means I am down my laptop for a few days for work and until i decide what to do about my external that too.

Signed,

Insult to Injury