Extracting files stored from old computer to new laptop

I have external drive (WDBAA0010HBK-00).  I used it on my old computer whose hard drive fried.  When I purchased a new computer, I tried to extract my old files from my WD external drive unsuccessfully.  The operating systems on my old computer was Windows Vista; on the new one it is Widows 8.  I can not find my files on my WD.  It shows to be full with now free space.

What do I do to be able to load my old files onto my new computer?

Thank you,

Spyderweb

If you cannot see your backup, it could have gotten corrupted, try using recuva or testdisk to scan the external hard drive and recover your files. 

Thank you for responding to one that is not sure how to do what you suggested, but I will try to figure it out.  There is a lot I don’t understand in operating my computer, but everything I have learned is by asking a lot of questions and doing a lot of research.  I turned my first computer on when I was 60 years old.

So… again, thank you for responding.

Try changing the setting to show hidden files. Did you use Smartware for your backup? Sometimes you have to do another backup for the file to show http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/data-restore/m-p/161586/highlight/true#M5703

Joe

Thank you very much.  I will try that.  You are very kind to try and help.