Extracted My Book HD Files Missing

I have a Western Digital, 1.0TB SATA/64MB Cache…model WD10EARS. Came out of a My Book Portable. It failed to open 2 years ago. Extracted the Hard drive from the case. Took it to a repair guy. Drive works. Recovery software came up only with the pages of the owner’s manual. Drive properties says the drive has almost 100% free space. Where did my 40GB of pics vids and docs go? How do I retreive the seemingly lost data.

The case was trashed long ago. Didn’t think I’d need it. The laptop that I used with the My Book was recently stolen. I used the External as a data storage. Data was of 3 years of children and family items. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hello,

I believe you need assistance from a data recovery company. You can try data recovery software but if it does not work then you should contact an expert in data recovery.

Data Recovery

How can you recover data that isn’t showing up?

Data Recovery costs thousands of dollars.

This drive works and the data is definately there. It just doesn’t show up on properties.

There should be a solution of some kind to retrieve it.

I just need to know how. I trusted this drive with my most valuable

possessions. I need those pics and vids of my family and children.

Someone please help.

If it is a drive that came with Smartware it will be hardware encrypted and difficult to recover without the case and board you tossed away.

Joe

Hi ECNYC20, sorry to hear you lost access to your files. You state that you had problems with the drive 2 years ago, were you using the internal drive you removed from the case to save your files? Or have you been unable to access your files for the last 2 years? 

Good afternoon.

I also have that problem.

I have stopped working a WD10EARS I have in an outdoor unit, with photos and videos of my daughters, when they were small.

I see for a moment one of the two partitions that should have, I get a warning that the unit must be formatted and quickly disappears. This happens cyclically by restarting every few seconds.

The read that may be due to the waiting time when parking the heads that is only 8 seconds in these models and in 2 or 3 years ends up messing the hard drive.

My question is: is there still way to fix it, for example with “wdidle3.exe / s300”?

In the store where I bought it (PcBox - Spain), after having tested with the “Hirens boot” I have been given a phone number of the company where they send it, but they ask me 1,200 € !!!)

(External hard drive. Fail with all tested pc’s, also directly with sata2.)