External Drive woes - My Book

I have a My Book - (not exactly sure which model) I was trying to pull up a photo last night and it was taking a while and got a (not responing) message in windows (windows 7). Drive does not get pick up by my computer now. Does not show in disk management. I don’t get prompted for a password. I have blinking lights on the front of the drive. The lock on the front is blink and so is the small dot under it.

When I plug the drive in it spins for a little bit and then just stops. I couldn’t sleep last night cause I was upset and did a google search and was suprised by how many other people are having the same issues. I pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be, but I thought it was worth a try. I have contacted for support, but I have some thing on the drive I would really like to keep.

I don’t want to give you false hope but it might be a power issue try moving the plug directly into the outlet instead of a power strip. Also try a different outlet. Try different USB ports on the PC. If the drive is still in warranty contact WD they’ll probably send you a new one.

Joe

I let me drive it for about 8 hours. I plugged it back in and it was flashing again. Then all of a sudden the lock icon stopped flashing but the light under it is still flashing. I am now able to see it in device manager and i couldn’t before. I can even get a password prompt but when I try to enter my password it says it’s wrong.

My emotions are on a roller coaster. I was really bummed when it locked up. I was pissed off to see all these other people having similar problems. I was happy to see the password prompt. Now im stunned my password is wrong.