Elements 2TB External Hard Drive. Clicking but can still read some data

I’ve had my Elements 2TB drive for about a year and just yesterday when I was watching a movie off of it, it started to click and the movie stopped. I immediately disconnected it so that I wouldnt damage the drive. After waiting a little while I decided that I would try to get as much as I could off of it. I managed to get one file folder worth of pictures off and it was a little stuttered but it went relatively smoothly. Everything else I’ve tried to copy over after that gets stuck in the copying process. I can access all of the folder and see all of the files inside them but I can’t get them to copy over to my laptops hard drive without it freezing the process. Is there any hope of getting the data off of this drive?

I am using a MacBook Pro but the drive is not specifically for Mac. The Mac freezes while trying to open the drive so I use Parallels to get acesss to all my files. I also have access to Bootcamp if that will help. Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated. 

This a typical case of data corruption

try restoring the files with a data recovery software and then reformat the drive