Regular Visitor
prikindel

Drive becomes unresponsive

Hello,

I have a WD My Book Essential 3Tb drive, and it used to work for about 6 months properly. Now I have problems. After I plug it into a laptop, it works for several minutes, and then flashing light becomes steady and the drive stops working, Windows Explorer doesn't see it any more. I tried with a different laptop - same thing. Please help!!!

Esteemed Contributor
Nesvic

Re: Drive becomes unresponsive

Hello,

Please verify the USB cable and if possible connect the drive to a desktop computer, specifically to the USB port located on the back side.

Regular Visitor
prikindel

[ Edited ]

thanks, I will try to get another cable. I don't have any desktop computers tough, just several laptops, and I tried some of them with the same result.

Occasional Visitor
yertzam

I have same issue though I have not tested on multiple machines. Mybook non-response... I have a passport that works fine on all usb ports, no issues. What I found out that is interesting is that: With the Mybook, if I short power input (not USB, but power input) for a few seconds, then my Drive is immediately recognized on the next plug-in. (Seems like the input bleed resistor is bad; just a theory!!) This is the second MyBook that I have had these symptoms with.

I Plan to lobby for a Passport to replace; seems to be no issue with Passport.

Best Luck!

Regular Visitor
prikindel

[ Edited ]

well, I still don't have any desktop available, but I purchased the same exact drive and tokk both USB and power cables from that new one and tried them with my existing drive - same result.

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

It sounds like there is a problem with the drive or the circuit board. Contact WD about a RMA.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Regular Visitor
prikindel

Well, I contacted WD, they offer a replacement. But I'm not interested in replacement, I need access to my data. What would you suggest?

Occasional Visitor
Rossel

Same problem for me.... when i connect my mybook 2TB, it only shows the drive unlock partition and only remain visible for like 30-40 seconds then disconnect and then reconnect automatically... if i press the unlock drive during it's short visible time it just open but disconnect again after some times... Please  Please give me solution..i dont want replacement... i want my data back... Thanks..

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD