Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advisor
Bucky_Kid

Disabling WD File Management Engine (WDFME.EXE)

[ Edited ]

If I look to services cp I see this svc + WD Shadow File Management Engine are setup to automatic start.

The worst thing on it too often consumes too much of CPU resources.

So what happens if I disable it ?

Do I lack some external drive functionality?

This svc really irritates me with highc CPU usage.

What 's so important it's doing eating 50% of CPU power?

??

Honored Contributor
Joe_S

Re: Disabling WD File Management Engine (WDFME.EXE)

Did you install the Smartware? It can be a resource hog especially on startup.

Joe

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue.
Advisor
Bucky_Kid

Yes I do have SmartWare installed, but that's silly on it that I don''t need neither use any features of it.

Only  thing of WD I need is the status bar icon background monitoring SMART status and temperature, but as I experienceed the status icon doesnot  work if wdfme service is not started :smileysad:

I 'm not against complete uninstalling smartware but afraid the temperature monitoring won't run which is crucial for me as my myBook drive suffers with unexpectedly high operational temperatures.

Occasional Visitor
tomes

Hmm... I just found I have this issue as well. I don't use any of the features of this software, so have opted for a complete uninstall. 

I do use the encrypted drive / password functionality, but what I've done is just created a shortcut from my quicklaunch bar to the W:\unlock.exe program (where W:\ is the drive letter assigned to virtual CD drive that comes with this external drive. 

That way I plug it in, click on that shortcut, and unlock my drive, without needing all the other software crap.

Occasional Contributor
danyb

I have recently bought a My Passport with smartware and I am having all sort of issues.

To check if they are due to the WD My Passport I disconnected the drive and  unchecked WDDMStatus.exe in Startup.

Still  in Services WDDMService ans WD File Management Engine are running.

And I am getting error messages in my Windows log.

I would love to work  with smartware for some files that I like to keep up to date constantly and also would like to use the password protection but  all those services running when not needed really disgust me

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD