Can data be accessed from a drive that has been removed from a RAID 1 mirror My Book Duo?

I have a My Book Duo set to RAID 1 mirror. When I disconnect the MBD from my PC and take out either of the drives to test if the data can be accessed using a docking station, Windows 7 sees the drives as unformatted. Then when I put them back in the MBD and reconnect it to my PC, the RAID 1 mirror is healthy. I contacted WD support, the representative I am corresponding with says the drives should be recognized individually when removed from the MBD. I’m not sure I believe him, does anyone here know 100% if individual drive data can be accessed once removed from a MBD with RAID 1?

Hi Keylonta, it is only supported to access the data when the hard drives are in the My Book Duo enclosure.

1 Like

i kinda  have the same concern also! what if u have 2 healthy drives, but the enclosure/ device fails. how do u go about accessing ur data. ? without sending off ur HD to some data recovery center. how can u access ur data from home. ?

what will u need?

1 Like