Bad Micro B/USB wire? Help!

I have searched and did not read any particular one that would give an answer to that question. The Symptoms: I have 3TB My Book that I have used less than a dozen times. It started with it intermittently connection to the laptop (showing up in My Computer drive list). I noticed the drive light would go on or off when the plug in the back of the drive was moved. Moved one way it would come on and connect and one way it was off.  Later, only a drive letter would show up in the My Computer window and I would get a message stating that the file system was not there. That is where I now stand.

The plug in the rear looks good and undamaged. 

Have any of you had this or similar problem? Has anyone used a different wire with any success. Since buying the drive, I have on;y used it a few times. The wire has never been abnormally stressed. I have tried ALL the normally performed tests such as trying other USB ports.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hi and welcome to the Community Ruben54. As you said using another USB cable (2.0/3.0) could work. Your problem could also be related to a data corruption issue, to rule out any possible hardware damage I running a DLG test. If the test completes successfully and you need to recover your files, you can use a data recovery program, using Google you can find several options; if you don’t need to recover the files you can just format the My Book to use it normally again. Check the following links for more information. 

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows 

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX

First I must solve the problem of the drive light going on and off just by moving the plug slightly. I have ordered another 

wire. We’ll see if that solves at least one problem before delving into another. Thanks

Wel, my new cable arrived and that seems to have been the originating problem. The other cable, being flaky and causing the drive to go on and off, corrupted the drive. Now I’m waiting on a tree day excursion with a recovery tool attempting to retreive my data. If the cables they sell are as good as this one I would need multiple drives just to back up one to make sure I have a good backup! Oh Well, that’s probably why we have 40 terabytes of drive space on multiple mirrored servers at work to make sure we don’t loose 5 terabytes of information.